The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Friday, October 7, 2011

Kindergarten Art Auction--Melted Crayon Artwork

One of the duties of Homeroom Mom is to come up with a piece of art (that every child in the class helps make) to sell at the school's art auction. I had NO idea what we were going to make, so one of my friends suggested I join Pinterest for ideas. Now I am hooked! But, it was on that site that I found this idea!

Thursday afternoon (with both kids in school) I sat and peeled 151 crayons and then glued them to a huge canvas I bought from Hobby Lobby. I lugged it to school and we put newspaper all around it to protect the teacher's walls and floors.
I brought two hairdryers and then, let the kids get to WORK! For 20 kindergarteners, they were so well behaved! The kids came up in pairs and took turns heating up the crayons and letting the wax drip down the canvas.
About halfway through we blew the outlet and then we had a fire drill, so we had to relocate to finish it up! And then, of course we blew that outlet and had to move again!
But, in the end it turned out great!
All the kiddos were so proud!!

No comments: