The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Monday, November 21, 2011

Triathlon Training Begins Today!

So, three years ago right around this time Allen talked me into training for the Chicago Marathon. While that might not seem daunting for seasoned runners, at the time Allen and I couldn't even run HALF a mile! But, Allen made us a 9 month training plan and we hit the gym 6 days a week. At the end of that plan we ran our first race ever--the 2009 Chicago Marathon! So, with that said, I guess I have stalled and bandaided his pleas for another race with smaller races for long enough. While I wouldn't agree to another marathon, I did agree to a triathlon. (I'll let you know in 10 months which is worse.)

We have ordered our bikes, bought our diaper-like bike shorts, special biking shoes, and bike trainers (that let us ride in place in the living room), tried on and purchased the ultra-hideous swimsuits (jammers for Allen instead of a speedo, but honestly just as hilarious to see him wearing) and goggles and swim caps, and all other sorts of special equipment that in my opinion costs WAY too much. And, tonight we start our training plan from ground zero with swimming. Here is the plan that we made yesterday afternoon:
Oh, and did I mention we are tandem training for the Bentonville Half Marathon for the first 19 weeks? Allen seemed to think that would be "fun and challenging." And weeks 30-45 I am just pretending do not exist. But, with all that said, I am looking forward to having time back to spend with my hubby--just me and him. While I will moan and groan along the way, few things beat training for a seemingly impossible goal alongside my best friend.

No comments: