The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Swine Flu, Ear Infection, and Sacral Dimple

My poor little Brookelyn! She came home from school yesterday with a fever and woke up with one this morning. Luckily, we were already scheduled for a doctor's appointment this morning as follow up to the cyst on the back of her knee.

When we arrived, since she had a fever and a cough the nurse made her put on a mask. Here is my little patient:



After talking with me and testing her for flu, which I didn't think she had the nurse left and we waited for the doctor. She finally came in and told me Brookelyn was POSITIVE for the Swine Flu! I couldn't believe it! So, she prescribed Tami-Flu for Brookelyn and a preventative dose for Braedyn. She continued to examine Brookelyn and found that she also has an ear infection--POOR BABY! I then mentioned that Brookelyn had been complaining of pain after pooping. She examined her and then asked me about Brookelyn's little dimple above her hiney. She was surprised that it had never been examined by her previous pediatrician or at the hospital after her birth. Dr. Richardson explained that it is called a Sacral Dimple, and since she could not see the bottom of it, or any skin covering the hole, that Brookelyn would need to be scheduled for a MRI at Children's Hospital. I was totally shocked and taken by surprise; all of a sudden the swine flu didn't seem that bad. Here is a picture (as modest as I could be) of Brookelyn's Sacral Dimple (the little black hole above her hiney crack):


So once she is over the Swine Flu and we are back from running our marathon in Chicago, Brookelyn will be scheduled for her MRI--the week of Oct. 12th. She will have to be sedated because apparently the test takes 45 minutes and she has to lay completely still.

Now, I am pretty sure Braedyn also has one of these too, so when I get him home this afternoon I will be checking to see if I can see the bottom of his--otherwise we will have two children to examine!

As far as the cyst behind Brookelyn's knee, which is now the least of my worries, we are going to continue to watch it and hope it will disapear on its own. If not, we will have to have surgery to remove it. Both the Dr. and I agree we would rather just keep an eye on it and avoid surgery!

I am off to be Nurse Mommy!

2 comments:

Kathleen Villar said...

Poor Brookelyn! Hope she feels better soon and you can get to the "bottom of that dimple" soon. :)

Holly said...

Just curious how it all turned out? I have a nine month old that has to have an MRI as well.