The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Latest Project...

I have been eyeing some beautiful clear candle holders at Hobby Lobby for quite a while, but even with my 40% off coupon they are $25 each and I would need 8 of them. I just couldn't see spending $200 on candlesticks for my kitchen table that would surely be knocked over at some point by the kiddos. So, the other night when I was looking through the West Elm catalogue I came across this picture:
I LOVED the crisp whiteness of the candle holders. Of course they were very expensive too and since they were smaller in scale I thought I would need the vases instead or quite a few of the candle holders. So, I thought, what if I bought the shapes in the scale I wanted and just painted them white? I took a trip to our local Goodwill and bought these 8 pieces for less than $20!
I then got Krylon spray primer, paint, and clear glaze. After washing the candle holders, sanding them, priming them, painting them with two coats, and then glazing them I was SO pleased! Here they are on our kitchen table:
An up close view:
I know they are missing the candles, but Hobby Lobby doesn't have them on sale yet. So, once they go on sale I am planning on getting white ones and wrapping the bottoms of them with burlap twine. I will post update pictures when I do. (The final cost for the project was $32!)

No comments: