The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Latest Home Project...Redoing the Stairs!

Allen left for a week long work trip (aka vacation--I mean how can it be work when you get to go to quiet dinners at restaurants and eat with both hands, pee by yourself, and sleep all night long uninterrupted), so I decided to tackle another DIY project (and not tell him)! The stairs have always bothered me because all the molding in our home is painted off white, but they are wood. I would have loved to paint them ALL like the molding, but the carpet prevents me from getting in all the nooks and crevices. So, I decided I would just do the posts and the rails. Here are the before shots:
Before looking down the stairs:
It took A LOT of taping (and that is an UNDERSTATEMENT) because I had to protect each of the iron spindles! Here is a shot after everything was taped and the primer was on:
After lots of sanding and two coats of paint, here is the final product:
After looking down the stairs:
And, a side shot:
It was so much work--mainly the taping and the tricky painting angles--but I LOVE the outcome. I think it looks more modern and flows better with our decor. My hope in the long run is that when we replace our floors with darker wood, to have the wood on the stairs sanded and stained darker.
Now, the big question, is will Allen even notice?! Last time I painted the cabinets after THREE days of not noticing, I finally told him. Anyone want to place a wager?!

No comments: