The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Monday, June 4, 2012

Our First Triathlon

While on our vacation to San Antonio, we had a BIG EVENT to complete--our first triathlon! The race was actually in Austin, so on Sunday we drove up to get our packets and check in our bikes.  It was exciting! Here we are after we got our bikes checked in:

This is a picture of the Transition Area, where everyone puts all their bikes and gear and comes between swimming and biking and biking and running.

The next morning, we woke up super early and drove back to Austin.  If I said I wasn't nervous, I would be lying.  I went through worrying about the water temperature, falling off my bike, not being able to finish the run, and being mad that I had to run the race without my iPod and Allen (girls and boys have different start times)! Here we are right before we headed down to the water for my start:

Allen saw me off at the starting line, and thank goodness the water temperature was fine.  However, swimming in open water was A LOT different than my swims at the pool.  I hated not being able to see through the murky, seaweed filled water, and I felt nervous with all the flailing legs and arms around me.  I ended up breast-stroking a lot of the race purely so I could see where I was going and who was about to hit me! My mom snapped this picture of me as I came out of the water and headed to get on my bike:
 
Meanwhile Allen was getting ready for his heat!  Here he is with the kiddos:

My mom also managed to get a picture of him coming out of the water.  Love the outfit!

And, here we are after the race! It was so wonderful to cross the finish line with family cheering for us! Thank you to everyone who came to support us, and who supported us along the way as we trained!

But, there is no rest for the crazy--we have already signed up for our next one!

No comments: