The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Chicago Marathon!

So Allen and I actually did it! Nine months ago we couldn't even run one mile, and on October 11th in 30 degree weather we ran 26.2, and more importantly, we did it all together. It truly was amazing to run with 45,000 people and to see 1.2 million people cheering us on through the whole course. Allen and I crossed the finish line together and clocked a 5 hour marathon...only 15 minutes off our pace of 4 hours and 45 minutes. Truth be told it was my fault we didn't make our goal time. I ran all 21.5 miles of the race, and then my knee just gave out. It would no longer bend. So with Allen cheering me on, I galloped, ran with one leg straight, speed walked, anything I could the last five miles. And the last .2 miles we both ran together and crossed the finish line stride for stride. I think this is one of the most difficult tasks either one of us have ever tried to achieve, and it feels good to be successful. In fact, we are now planning on running a half marathon in March and the LA Marathon in 2011. While the marathon was the highlight of our trip to Chicago, it was also our first real vacation away since our second wedding anniversary (we have now been married for six years)and our first trip away from the kids. It was great to be able to eat with both hands, use the restroom in private, take a nap, and sleep as late as we wanted to. Here are some pictures from our trip:

This is us at the runner's expo picking up all of our participant gear. Little did we know how true this sign would be!


The first night there we ate AMAZING veggie pizza at Gino's East. Definitely recommend it!


Saturday morning we ate McDonald's for breakfast. We wished for the kids because it had an escalator inside--Brookelyn would have LOVED it!


Saturday we watched the Razorbacks demolish Auburn at the ESPN zone--Allen and I demolished those cheese fries! Hey, we were carb loading!


And, here are our medals! I have to order pictures from race day because we couldn't bring our cameras. I will post them once I receive them.

No comments: