The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Brookelyn's MRI Today

We headed to the hospital about 8:30 this morning so we could arrive by 9:00. While I checked her in, she sat at a little table and played with her new felt storybook (thanks Honey).

After we were all checked in, a nice nurse led us back the the radiology section and got Brookelyn settled in her room. She asked me a million questions and then got Brookelyn dressed in her "doctor's costume." She looked so cute, and wanted to know if she could keep them! In this picture she is also holding her special mask. It was pink and smelled like strawberries. She loved smelling it and was very excited about being able to smell the "strawberry air" once she started getting her pictures taken (I told her the MRI scan would take her picture).

She also wanted a set of gloves, so she could be a "real doctor."

The doctors were running a little behind, so instead of starting the scan at 10:00, it was more like 10:45. I carried her into the MRI room where she got to choose what scene she wanted to look at from about 10 pictures on a little screen. She chose an airplane scene, and the whole room immediately changed into a cartoon of outside with planes, clouds, the moon, etc all floating by. She loved it. I sat her on the little MRI table and she held the mask (attached to the "strawberry air") to her face all by herself. We watched the scene, talking about everything we saw and the doctors and nurses kept commenting on how calm and collected Brookelyn was. After about 4 minutes, she wanted to lay down and then closed her eyes. I gave her a kiss and waited in the waiting room. After about an hour they came and got me. This is what I saw when I went in her room:

She was calm, not crying for me, just sipping on a juice box like everything was so normal. Her IV had already been removed before she woke up, and she wasn't concerned about the little band aids. I got her dressed and we were back in the car within about 35 minutes. The nurse warned me that she would be unsteady on her feet and would probably sleep for 4-6 hours once we got home. So, I made her sit on the blue chair and eat her lunch--I was worried she might get dizzy and fall off her little chair at her normal table. Here she is eating her mac 'n cheese!

Needless to say, there was no 4-6 hour nap--there was NO nap! In fact we were off to Target to get supplies for her Fall Party at school about an hour and a half after we originally got home. She is doing just great! Hopefully we will hear the results of her scan tomorrow!

2 comments:

closetfan said...

Hi there,

I was searching for pilonidal dimples on google and found your blog. I just found the dimple on my 8 month-old son this morning and have yet to hear back from his pediatrician. Did your daughter's turn out ok?

Thanks for any info!

Stella

The Bates Family said...

Stella,
I am not sure if you will see this, but I wasn't sure how to respond directly to you. Things turned out great. Her scan showed that the dimple did have a "bottom" to it and there was absolutely no follow up needed. She is perfectly fine. Best of luck with your little one!