The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Monday, August 20, 2012

Chore Chart

Every once in a blue moon, the stars align and things actually work out as planned.  Such is the Chore Chart! (I found a similar idea on Pinterest and adapted it for the kiddos.)

Here is our Chore Chart:
The basic premise is that on Sunday each child picks four chores out of the little chore holder.  Then they clip each chore onto their clothespins until it has been completed and checked by Mommy.  Once checked off, they can put the chore back into the holder.  They have until 5:00 on Sunday evening to compete all four of their chores. (The chart hangs on the wall in the kitchen-at kid height-where they can at any time check the chores they have left to do.) If they complete them all, they earn a dollar.  If at the end of four weeks they have four dollars (ie they have done all their chores for four weeks), they earn a special date night! Here is a list of the chores I have for them to pick from (they choose with their eyes closed):
1. Clean kitchen appliances (with stainless cleaner)
2. Vacuum couch and rug
3. Clean downstairs toilets (Yes--they FIGHT to do this. They just use a disposable toilet brush to clean the inside of the bowl.)
4. Windex front and back door windows
5. Dust house
6. Kid's choice (they get to pick whatever they want--with my approval)
7. Put away laundry
8. Clean playroom
9. Empty all trash out of the car
10. Mom's choice
11. Put away silverware
12. Pick up and put away 10 items
13. Mop bathrooms (of course I supervise)
14. Clean upstairs toilets (see #3 above)

And can I tell you how NICE it has been! There are scenes like this around the house:
Yes, this is Braedyn cleaning the front door windows! And, he LOVES it!  Braedyn is actually the one who ENJOYS his chores.  He has finished them before Brookelyn each week, and will come up to me and ask, "Which of my chores can I do by myself, Mommy?" Music to my ears!!

I. Love. The. Chore. Chart.

No comments: