The Bates Family
Allen, Leah, Brookelyn, & Braedyn

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Our Deck is DONE!!

After a little over eight weeks and too many interruptions to name (including stitches, mysterious moles, temperatures that felt like I was staining on the face of the sun, and both kids being out for the summer) our deck is DONE! I feel like a little ray of light from the Heavens is shining down on me as I type that last sentence.  It was SUCH an undertaking, and I wholeheartedly blame Pinterest for giving me the idea to stain it the colors we chose.  White stain, while it claims to be opaque is not.  It took between four and six coats on all the white railings.  The grey was much better, only taking two really thick coats.  However, the cut in work took FOREVER! Not to mention before I could even begin staining, I spent a week power-washing all the old stain off--it felt like I had a pencil and was trying to erase the stain off one little line at a time.  Then, I power washed all the furniture and rugs, and spray painted all the wicker furniture to "freshen" it up and make the two brown chairs we had match the rest of the black furniture. And, as a surprise to Allen, I added the Razorback on the deck and two little ones on the stepping stones.  :) We are SUPER pleased with the outcome, and cannot wait to enjoy it this fall!

Here is a before shot of the main deck area:

And here are a couple after shots of the main area from different angles (I rearranged the furniture and we really need a third rug):



This is the before of the area leading to the stairs:

Here is the after (including our little Razorback):


 And, down the stairs:


Here is from the backyard looking up at the deck before:
 And, after:

This is from the other side of the yard before (notice where two years ago we started staining and the gave up on the project because it was taking too long):

 And, after:

This is from across the entire back:

What an UNDERTAKING, and I know I moaned and complained most of the time.  But, I am so proud of the end result.  And, would you believe I already showed Allen my next idea I found on Pinterest? (No, I'm not kidding!)

No comments: